The HPH General Assembly has requested to revise the HPH Standards.
Until now, important progress has been made in reviewing the different HPH standard sets available and moving towards the formulation of a set of ‘umbrella’ standards, which will be launched at the next HPH conference in Seoul, Republic of Korea.
The original HPH standards have had a major impact on the HPH network and have been very positively received by external partners (scientific associations, health authorities, researchers, professional bodies). The HPH expects the new ‘umbrella’ HPH standards to be even more impactful and serve as a yardstick for HPH implementation as part of the new Global HPH Strategy. During the General Assembly a beta version of the first modules for this new international initiative will be presented, which is also aimed to link to national/regional activities and different languages.
Standards for Health Promotion in Hospitals
To improve Health Promotion, the Standards for Hospitals and Health services have been developed and have helped self-assessments and further the development of Health Promotion. The Standards were first published in the Manual on implementing health promotion in hospitals (Groene, 2006) expressing professionally consented statements on health care structures or processes that should be in place.
The Standards describe a five-dimensional approach covering:
- Management policy
- Patient assessment
- Patient information and intervention
- Promoting a healthy workplace
- Continuity and cooperation
The aim is to enable managers and health professionals to:
- assess health promotion activities in hospitals,
- improve the capacity of health care organizations in improving health promotion activities,
- formulate recommendations for the improvement of health promotion activities in hospitals,
- involve all professionals and the patient in improving the quality of care,
- improve the coordination of care with other providers of care,
- improve the health and safety of staff and patients.
Download the HPH Standards on Health Promotion in Hospitals
Individual hospitals and health services and in particular members of HPH are encouraged to use this tool and to assess and improve the quality of health promotion activities in health care.